Simple Turkey Meatloaf
From Emeril 20-40-60
1 ½ pounds ground turkey, preferably 85/15 blend, or a mix of ground breast and thigh meat
2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
½ cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Emeril’s Original Essence or some other Creole Seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the onion bell pepper, breadcrumbs, celery, egg, 1 tablespoon of the ketchup, the garlic, Essence, salt, and pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly until the ingredients are well combined. Transfer the turkey mixture to a 1-pound loaf pan, and form it into a domed loaf shape.
3. Place the remaining ketchup in a small bowl, and stir in the hot sauce. Spoon the ketchup mixture evenly over the meatloaf, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake until the meatloaf is browned on top, cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.
4 to 6 servings