Fresh Food Fast
By Emeril Lagasse
Got a big appetite and not a lot of time? Whether you’re a soccer mom with PTA meetings to attend, a coed cramming for finals, or a professional with a lot on your plate (that is, except for dinner), preparing a home-cooked gourmet meal can be a difficult prospect. However, Emeril Lagasse has written a new cookbook, aptly titled Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Food Fast, that is aimed at getting you out of the kitchen quicker so you can get on with your life.
Featuring easy-to-follow recipes that take either 20, 40 or 60 minutes to prepare, Emeril 20-40-60: Fresh Fast Food is an excellent kitchen companion for the epicure on-the-go. From the Kicked-Up Shrimp Fried Rice (18 minutes to prepare), to the Swordfish with Puttanesca Relish (25 minutes), to the blasphemously-named Better Than Mama’s Chili-Mac (55 minutes), this book is full of great recipes no matter what your tastes—or your time constraints—may be.
Along with tasty entrées, Emeril also includes a host of easy-to-make soups, sauces and sides. The classic Buttermilk Dressing (only 8 minutes) is the perfect companion to a crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce, while the Balsamic or Red Wine Vinaigrettes (8 and 10 minutes, respectively) would complement either mixed greens or vegetables nicely.
Throughout the book, Emeril injects his trademark spunk and sense of humor with amusing anecdotes and some great serving suggestions that will have you kickin’ it up a notch in your own kitchen in no time.
Reviewed by Nick Winfrey
Simple Turkey Meatloaf
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 to 50 minutes
Total: 60 to 65 minutes
1 ½ pounds ground turkey, preferably 85/15 blend, or a mix of ground breast and thigh meat
2/3 cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup chopped red or green bell pepper
½ cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 large egg, lightly beaten
½ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon Emeril’s Original Essence or some other Creole Seasoning
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Place the turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add the onion bell pepper, breadcrumbs, celery, egg, 1 tablespoon of the ketchup, the garlic, Essence, salt, and pepper. Mix gently but thoroughly until the ingredients are well combined. Transfer the turkey mixture to a 1-pound loaf pan, and form it into a domed loaf shape.
3. Place the remaining ketchup in a small bowl, and stir in the hot sauce. Spoon the ketchup mixture evenly over the meatloaf, spreading it with the back of a spoon.
4. Bake until the meatloaf is browned on top, cooked through, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees, 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the oven and let the meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.
4 to 6 servings